Feminist Organizing and the Internet
There are 4 parts to this project. For parts I and II, answer the questions listed (not in essay form).
Parts III and IV are essays in which you will synthesize the information you found on the websites.
Make sure that you turn in all 4 parts to the submission folder.
I. Visit the websites listed below and answer the following questions:
1. What is the sponsoring organization? Are they part of a larger organization?
2. What is their mission?
3. What information does the organization offer?
4. What programs does the organization offer?
5. What particular area does the organization focus on? (Development, human
rights, health, environment, etc.)
6. What particular “feminist” approach (if any) does this organization take in
pursuing their mission? (Hint: Look at chapter 10, p. 335 for guidance.)
7. Do you believe this organization addresses issues articulated in CEDAW, the Beijing
Platform and/or the Sustainable Development Goals related to women. Describe
which issues and how the organization addresses them.
Human Rights Watch
II. Using the list below, visit 3 other sites of International NGOs (in addition to those
above). For each, provide the following information:
1. Organization’s website you visited:
2. What is the particular mission or issue the organization?
3. What is the particular “feminist” approach that the organization takes? (Based on
International Center for Research on Women
Center for Women’s Global Leadership
Women for Women
Global Fund for Women
Worldwide Organization for Women
Women for Women’s Human rights
International Women’s Rights Action Watch
III. Essay #1. Which of the organizations you examined via their websites do you
believe is most effective and efficient in its approach to addressing women’s issues
globally. Write an argumentative essay explaining and defending your choice, using
issues addressed in the textbook as evidence.
IV. Essay #2. Considering all the websites you examined, describe the ways in which they
represent transnational women’s movements and/or networks and what part you believe
these organizations play in reaching global women’s equality through the use of the
Each of the essays must be at least 500 words in length and be formatted with 1 inch margins,
12-point font and double-spacing. Each will be graded according to the criteria listed below:
• Demonstrates engagement with course material
• Demonstrates use of additional resources/research
• Demonstrates synthesis of information and critical approaches to information
• Articulates an individual perspective on the topic
• Perspective is supported by evidence from the course or from additional sources
• All sources used are cited using MLA or APA style
• Essay is well constructed – for example, includes a thesis, uses topic sentences and
unified paragraphs, etc.
• Essay uses correct grammar and spelling